Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I Want Candy! Do Hobos?

I just got done enjoying a Hershey's Kiss and I found myself wondering what types of candy hobos prefer, or even if they ate candy. Part of me thinks that hobos are simple folk and would enjoy simple candy--like those Brach's stars. But then I was thinking that there's no way a hobo would even have access to Brach's candies on account of their disdain for grocery stores. I'm guessing vending machine candy would be a much more popular snack on the rails. Then that got me thinking that the 65 cents that they'd spend on a bag of M&Ms could be better put to the $2 needed to get a bottle of alcohol. So, upon further thinking, due to their distrust of the global grocery industry, I have to assume that hobos do 97% of their shopping at gas stations, and when they do buy their bottle of hooch, I'm guessing they use the change left over to buy a 10 cent York peppermint patty. Not only does the patty contain chocolate, but it also contains mint, which virtually eliminates the need for a shower on account of its strong mint smell. I've never been a hobo, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that I think there are plenty of romantic elements to it. Not "romantic" in the candlelight dinner sense, but romantic in the story sense. Definitely more romantic than hitchhiking with truckdrivers--in any sense.

No comments: