Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Art of Blogging

So I was clicking on that "Next Blog" link right up at the top of this one and it seems everybody is selling their art. Whether it be paintings, sculptures, or photographs. I don't have good art skills, and even if I did, I don't have good technical skills to get my art skills displayed on this blog. And since this blog is hobocentric, the art would have to have something to do with hobos, and preferably their diets.

I think if I had sculpting skills, I would probably sculpt a four foot high sculpture of a hobo sitting on a bench at a train depot and he's looking at a sign that is pointing in two directions. The first direction points towards "Home", the second direction points towards "Freedom". I would sculpt the hobo face to show some bit of inner struggle, but I would give him a sly smile in a type of "I already know what I'm doing" grin. I think it would win awards.

My hope would be that I would do so well with "Hobo A Go-Go" that I would receive grants for more of my art projects.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful...

Except hobos, by definition, don't really have homes. So there's that.

Maybe the sign could say "settling down". No, that would be dumb.
Even dumber than "Home" really.

If that's possible.

Johnny Utah said...

Srsly? The idea that the Hobo is deciding not to go home is what makes him a Hobo.

Everyone has a home. Even if that home is made of Tyvek panels propped against a bridge truss. The Hobo is going against that and making his home on the rails.

Anonymous said...

Exactly. He is choosing AGAINST going home, i.e. where he was from. But he's no longer that person that used to live back there and worked at the Post Office. Now he's Midway Pete and he lives where is, and nowhere else. Home is where the fire is.

Derek said...

... the barrel fire

Anonymous said...

First off, you're agreeing with SBucksC, which means you are wrong in principle.

But your argument is stating his "home is on the rails" and "where the fire is", so technically, isn't "home" and "freedom" the same place?

Maybe make it a cartoon, where he goes and turns the "home" sign to point the same way as "freedom"...

Anonymous said...

I like your idea, but multi-panel comics are for people who can't say what they want to say all in one panel.

Anonymous said...

Did you know that Bucyrus, Ohio has two annual "Hobo Days"?

2008:
May 31 & September 6, 2008 Hobo Days at the T&OC Train Station

http://www.bucyrus.org/calendar.html

Derek said...

Speaking of blogging... 4 days is too long to wait for my next fix of hobotainment..