Thursday, February 7, 2008

Time Moves Slowly When It's Not On The Rails

I'm just sitting here thinking about my hoboburger. I had a regular cheeseburger--or "peopleburger", if you will--for lunch today and it wasn't just lacking in bologna, it was lacking in character.

(Actually, let's strike that "peopleburger" comment, because it makes it sound like hobos aren't people, and they definitely are people--dna has proven that. So my apologies to the hobo nation.)

So I'm just trying to bide my time until next fall when I get my first crack at a real hoboburger--or at least what some consider a "hoboburger". I've googled the term numerous times and never have I seen mention of the involvement of thick-cut bologna. Usually, it's just some type of ground beef, done in a loose way. Kind of like Roseanne and Dan Connor's loose meat sandwich shop, but it's cooked in foil. I think it sounds great, but it also sounds like sloppy joes without the sauce, which is something I never understood about the loose meat sandwiches. Manwich is like a dollar a can, you can afford the beef, but not the Manwich? Sad.

Anyway, what do you think about thick-cut bologna cut long-ways and put into a brat bun with some kraut? I think it sounds promising.

I think that's it for now. Sorry for staying away as much as I have recently. I plan to ramp this puppy up real soon. Don't expect pictures or anything, as I don't know how to do that. Low-tech is probably more fitting for a blog about hobo goods anyway, no?

Lastly, thanks for all the kind words. I couldn't do this without the support of so many kind people.

4 comments:

Derek said...

Thanks for the shout-out... We hobos need our voice, however gravely, to be heard.

Anonymous said...

I'd wait until you actually have a hoboburger before you start thinking of variations. And the thing you're seeing online is hobo stew, not hobo-burgers.

Anonymous said...

Do you think it would be possible to make 'hobo kielbasa'?

I bet it would be good with Mac&Cheese....

Oh and LOL @ one of the key words being "loose meat".

Anonymous said...

bcsbuck...hobostew on a bun? What's next, soup on a stick? Hey...