Tuesday, February 12, 2008

In Any Language

"Hobo" in Spanish is "Vagabundo". Obviously, this is where the English "vagabond" comes from. I think the on-line English to Spanish dictionary could have come up with a better translation. I was actually expecting "hobo" to come back as "hobo". It sounds like a Spanish word and "el hobo" fits completely. And I think "Los Hobos" would be a great band name. I won't stoop to the vagabundo translation because "vagabond" has a negative connotation to it, whereas "hobo" is filled with romance and wonder.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure "El Hobo" was a wrestler in WCW in the mid-90's.

Anonymous said...

You're not thinking of "El Dandy", are you?

Anonymous said...

Perhaps.

Although during the heydays of Eric Bischoff, I'm pretty sure there were all kinds of Spaniard masked wrestlers running around.

FWIW, El Dandy RULES but Psychosis was the best of them all.