Sunday, February 3, 2008

Hobo Potluck

I have to go back to work tomorrow after two weeks off. I'm not happy right now. What could make me happier about going to work would be if we were having a potluck, but I don't think we are.

I think cheesy potatoes makes everybody happier.

The thought of an office potluck got me wondering if hobos have potlucks. And if they do, what kind of containers do they bring their food in?

Of course, everybody probably just brings fried dough like they're the freaking Joads or something. Although, I must admit, John Steinbeck sure knows how to make fried biscuits sound supremely tasty. (Just a point of clarity, I'm not calling the Joads hobos, but they sure could fry up a mean biscuit.)

Getting back to the container conundrum, I'm guessing if everybody is just bringing biscuits, then they can just put them in their bindle. And, if they wanted to get all Martha Stewart, they could just line their bindle with foil and transport anything--even cheesy potatoes. I'm guessing hobos don't go anywhere without smokes, knives, foil and duct tape. And really, if you only have the knife, there are ways to get the other three hobo staples. (FYI: Booze is not a hobo staple as not all hobos drink.)

I just had an awesome idea: Instead of hamburger buns for the hoboburger, how about fried biscuit halves? I'm throwing out ideas like I know what would be better and really I have no idea. However, there are many documented cases where studies have shown that biscuit halves make better sandwich components than bread. I'm sorry that I don't have any of those cases noted, but you can probably google "Biscuit halves studies American Dough Institute" and you should find something.

Well, surprise surprise, I've gotten off-track. Back to potlucks--do you think hobos use Tupperware? I think beyond just using it for containers, Tupperware would prove remarkably useful to your average hobo. If you have the right-sized bowl, you could use it for a pillow or a seat or even a bowl.

And again I'm making suggestions to people who are actually living out there on the rails. Like I'm going to say something and some hobo reading this is going to shout, "Eureka, I never thought of lining my bindle with foil!" Mother is the invention of necessity, as they say, so I'm sure they're way ahead of me on household (or trainhold) industriality.

Well, that's about it for tonight. I'm going to bed so that I can wake up super early and get up and go to work for the first time in like 17 days!

The sadness builds.

No comments: