Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Crumpets Anyone?

When I was a kid, I used to make what I called "White Trash Coffeecake". All you have to do is take a slice of white bread and spread a spoonful of sugar over the bread, then fold the bread and smash it down. It was very good. After about 6 or 7 of these, you may feel the urge to run around the house yelling and such.

The reason I bring it up is because I think white trash coffeecake could be an outstanding inclusion to any hobo's diet. It's cheap, it's easy, and it's supremely tasty. It could be a dynamite breakfast item for anybody short of cash or roof. And if you don't like the name "White Trash Coffeecake", call it something else. Maybe "folded sugar sandwich" or "hobo danish".

So if you're a hobo or you're currently looking for a new breakfast food, try a folded sugar sandwich and see how your day goes. If you don't like it, at least now you have a loaf of white bread and a bag of sugar, and as everybody knows, sugar is as good as currency on the rails and bread can always be used to soak up last night's turpenbrau.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's one. I didn't call it this at the time, but it could probably be called "Hobo-Chocolate Cake"

Take a piece of wonder bread

Butter it

Sprinkle liberally with those crushed Oreos that they sell to top ice cream

Fold

Eat

Anonymous said...

Couldn't you also buy unbroken Oreos and then break them? Also, I think the butter is unnecessary and would actually mute the chocolate. Other than that, I think this is promising. You can also press the bread edges together to "seal in" the Oreos.

Anonymous said...

The butter is essential. It's something about texture or something. Maybe it's just the richness of flavor that it brings to the whole shebang.

You could definitely break your own Oreos. However, I would think that having the crushed Oreos in a can would be MUCH easier than carrying a bag of Oreos around on the rails.

Although I suppose you could just put Oreos in a coffee can and put it in your bundle.

Anonymous said...

My concern would be cost-effectiveness, because anything "specialized", such as broken foods or "100-calorie packs" are more expensive than their full-sized predecessors. You can put you Oreos anywhere, and I'm guessing the breaking would take care of itself. I still don't get the butter though, but maybe it's just me.

Anonymous said...

To each his own.

I see your point wrt the pre-broken Oreos. Hence why standard Oreos (or, in the case of hobos probably generic Oreos) put in a coffee can and shaken thoroughly would probably suffice.