Saturday, February 2, 2008

I'm Back From Vacation and Getting Back on Schedule

We're back from Disneyworld and I already miss the giant-headed muppets. But I'll get over it. While driving home yesterday I noticed a place in South Carolina (I think) called "Hobo Joe's Fireworks". I wondered if this business was really run by a hobo or if it was just some type of brand-name franchise.

Assuming hobos are capable of owning and operating businesses, I'd guess that fireworks would probably be one of the more popular choices. I have to assume that since most hobos owe their travelhood to the thousands of Chinamen that laid the rails that they ride, that the natural progression would be to continue to do business with the Chinese in multiple forms, of which fireworks would be a prominent choice.

But as I think about the hobo life, I don't think business ownership would fit in--at least not a stationary business (or "stationery" for that matter, ha ha ha). Hobos are always on the move, they don't do "9-5". I can't imagine that a hobo would be a very competent boss either, since he would probably only show up to work two or three times a month at most. And you know that other hobos would always be showing up because they'd know that this was a hobo-friendly business. However, I also know that there are certain factions of hobos that do NOT get along. I would imagine that those warring factions would not be welcome in their enemies' places of business. If I were a hobo businessman, you can bet that I would have a sign above the register that says, "We reserve the right to refuse service to any hobo."

You may think that such a policy is harsh, but you have to remember that hobos stab people for socks, matching or not. If you've ever been stabbed for a sock, you can bet you'd be picky about who you sell fireworks to too.

Listen to me ramble on. Honestly, I'm just riffing about this stuff, because I've done very little research and my bases for saying hobos would refuse service to sock-stabbers is pure speculation and a gross generalization.

Anyway, that's just something that's been floating in my mind since I saw the sign on the side of the road for Hobo Joe's.

If anybody has ever shopped there, was there a large hobo contingent on site? Thanks.

No comments: